Bitter Apple is found in Punjab and other countries of Asia. It is also known as, tumba, korhe tuma, Sheem Hanzal, Hanzal, Bitter Cucumber, Desert Gourd, Egusi, Vine of Sodom, Wild Gourd and Citrullus Colocynthis or Colocynth. It has many health benefits, some of which are;
- Bitter apple have strong purgative properties which help to cure intestinal problems such as constipation. Specially constipation due to liver problems
- It stimulates the kidney and helps to maintain a healthy urinary tract.
- It purifies the blood.
- It gives relief from poisoning resulting from scorpion bite and snake bite.
- It is useful to reduce rheumatism as well as arthritic and joint pains.
- It helps to to remove pimples, acne and boils.
- It is very helpful in cold and cough.
- It is helpful for in problem of tumors, cancers and ascites.
- In Pakistan, Iran and Saudia, herbalist use it for diabetes, while in West herbalists consider it suitable for fighting cancer, specially prostate cancer.
Bitter Apple Side Effects:
Bitter apple fruits and plant extracts should be consumed only under strict medical attention as an overdose can prove to be fatal. The fruits can cause extreme bowel pains and dangerous inflammations. Bitter apples and extracts of these plants should not be administered to children, pregnant women or people having a weak constitution.