Aajwain desi is also known as ajowan caraway, bishop’s weed, carom or Trachyspermum ammi. Both the leaves and the seed‑like fruit of the plant are consumed by humans. The name “bishop’s weed” also is a common name for other plants. Carom Seeds are closely related to Cumin, Dilli and Caraway.
Benefits of Ajwain Desi Seeds:
- Ajwain seeds increase gastrointestinal secretions which enhances the efficiency of digestive functions.
- Ajwain is effective to stomach pain. Having the problems of flatulence, indigestion and gas release, take 1 tsp of ajwain along with water for one week
- Thymol, the essential oil extracted from Carom seeds are used as antibacterial and anti-fungal.
- Ajwain which contains the highest percentage of Thymol is used as antiseptic and in the treatment of cough and asthma.
- Carom Seeds are effective for respiratory problems such as common cold, cough, bronchitis and nasal congestion.
- If somebody takes excessive beverages, especially alcohol, eating ajwain twice a day reduces craving for alcohol.
- Ajwain oil is good for leg massage. Practicing such massage helps to cure rheumatic arthritis.
- Gargling ajwain water is helpful in curing of tooth pain. Ajwain fumes are also used in case of toothache.
- Ajwain seeds are good in removing of kidney stone. It is suggested to take ajwain seeds along with honey or vinegar for 15-20 days.
- Take roasted ajwain seeds; and boil it in a glass of water. Drink the strained mixture. It is beneficial in acidity and indigestion.
- Due to the presence of Thymol, ajwain is used in colic, muscle spasms, cramps and edema.
- The paste made up of crushed ajwain seeds is used to get rid of pimples, acne, blemishes and blackheads.
- It helps to kill worms. It is extremely beneficial for Earache, toothache, Influenza, Heart problems, Arthritis, Nasal blockage.
- Ajwain seeds are effective appetizer and also used as laxative.
- It is beneficial in case of vomiting, mouth diseases and piles.